Please call (503) 546-6533 for information.
Healthy Families promotes and supports positive parenting and healthy growth and development for all Clackamas County parents and their first-born children.
Healthy Families Services are voluntary and free! Income level does not matter.
Raising a family and having a child in today’s world is a big responsibility. It’s not always easy to know the “right” thing to do as a parent-who to turn to with a question or who to talk to when things seem overwhelming. We understand that you are your child’s first and best teacher, and we want to help you be the best parent you can be. Every child deserves a healthy start!
Many new parents want information about how babies and young children grow and develop. They also want to know what they can do to best support their child’s healthy development and growing brain. Healthy Families is here to help with that by providing home visits and one-on-one parenting support to first time parents.
In recent years as researchers have studied the developing brain we have learned some very important things:
- The parent/child relationship is the foundation of the child’s healthy development.
- Children’s development depends on both the traits he or she was born with (nature) and what he or she experiences (nurture).
- All areas of development (social, emotional, intellectual, language and motor) are linked. Each depends on, and influences, the others.
- What children experience, including how their parents respond to them, shapes their development as they adapt to the world.
One-on-one parenting support and home visits to first-time parents and their child
Healthy Families offers one-on-one parenting support and home visits. Parents who are pregnant, or who have had their a baby in the past three months may receive this support. Services offered both prenatally and after the birth of first baby.
- Basic infant care
- Bonding and Attachment
- Knowing how your baby learns and grows
- Understanding and coping with the stress of parenting
- Being the best parent you can be (parenting skills, discipline, toilet training, budgeting)
- Breast, bottle or other feeding concerns
- Clothing for you and your baby
- Health or medical concerns
- Knowing when to call the doctor
- Applying for health insurance
- Community resources
Healthy Families America has the potential to achieve community-wide benefits, including intermediate system change, cost savings, and long-term impacts on community health.
THE BOTTOM LINE: At full-scale (serving an entire community), Healthy Families America has the potential to achieve community-wide benefits, including intermediate system change, cost savings, and long-term impacts on community health.
For Further Reading, click on these PDF reports: